225/45-15 on my 1990

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 225/45-15 on my 1990

Brian says I will have a problem with the 6ULs and Hankook 225/45-15. I will need to roll my fenders. Please say it ain't so. I ran 225/50-15 on my 99 10AE and it had sport suspension, I believe. Parked next to my 2005, the 99 had a LOT less distance between the tire and the fender well. The same, more or less, as my 90.
    sigpic

1990 with FFS Coldside. At least 260 WHP NON-INTERCOOLED

This is what I've heard as well on the NA. There is also some issue with clearance on the spring perches if you're running stock sized springs. This is part of the reason I'm planning a suspension upgrade before 225s.

http://www.good-win-racing.com/Mazda...t/61-0391.html
    97M - FFS Coldside 105/65, FCM 600/375, FM frame rails, big RB front sway, HDHCHTDDSS, Thermal, Wilwood BBK, RE-11As...

Comment

But that is for the 15 x 9 rim. He doesn't say that if you look up the 15 x 8 6UL.
      sigpic

Comment

I think the restrictions still apply somewhat since the tire is the same size. 949 used to have a pretty thorough amount of info about fitment on their wheels and particular tires on their site, but then took it down because people were stealing the info. Not sure how that makes much sense.
        97M - FFS Coldside 105/65, FCM 600/375, FM frame rails, big RB front sway, HDHCHTDDSS, Thermal, Wilwood BBK, RE-11As...

Comment

I say if you are rocking 260whp on a 100hp car then some mods are expected. Rolling the fenders is no big deal. You will never see it and it can be done by any ricer type in town. Also you will eventually need a better suspension right? That's the time to resize the spring diameter to eliminate rubbing. Just go ahead and get the wheels and tires. The rest will fall into place. That's my advice and I'm sticking to it.
          '00 Coldside FFSC 130mm pulley @ 18.5psi. on E85. OBX header, Goodwin Midpipe, Tein Flex, Koyo Rad, Etc.

Comment

That's the second time you have made snide remarks about my suspension, Pat. Well, it needed new suspension as it was tired. I had 170WHP at the time and figured I didn't need much so I put those new Tein coilovers on. They are the inexpensive (read CHEAP) version but were adequate.

For the record, I do have rear suspension form an NB as that was required to put the Torsen diff in the back.

I will have to ask Mike if the Teins are adjustable in any way. WOuldn't break my heart to raise the car a half inch.

The new date for the 1/4 mile test is Nov 4. If the wheels ever get here. I'm willing to try the 225/45-15 Hankook RS3 and take it from there. My 90 doesn't squat bery far before it hits the bump stops. Its got travel more like a race bike than a dirt bike.
            sigpic

Comment

I have Hankook RS3's on 15 x 7 & 1/2 (maybe 15 x 8 ?). The tires are 225 50 series and they don't rub.

I didn't actually roll the front fenders, but I persuaded them to cooperate with a rubber mallet. I did have to move my braided front brake lines around to a position where they would not contact the tire at full lock.

Comment

Well, I'm going to put them on and then see what needs rubber hammer help. I don't think they are available in 225/50-15? Only 45 series unless you have 16" rims.
                sigpic

Comment

You're right Tom .... 225- 45 15 inch. It helps to warm up the paint before you try to bend metal. I didn't. Paint chips flew.

Comment

Body work ans I don't get along. If anything serious needs to happen to my nearly 22 year old Miata, some shop can do it. Besides, a few bumps and chips makes it even more stealth. Nobody would look at my old ride and think 260 WHP.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Tom @ Fast Forward View Post
                      Body work ans I don't get along. If anything serious needs to happen to my nearly 22 year old Miata, some shop can do it. Besides, a few bumps and chips makes it even more stealth. Nobody would look at my old ride and think 260 WHP.
                      To that end, I wonder if there would be a market for 14" OEM daisy wheels, widened to 8-9", with appropriate offset corrections similarly implemented?

What's the widest 14" tire option that would make sense?

Only drawback is you're limited to the smaller 1.8 brakes.

twj

Comment

Tom .... your attitude is a lot like mine. I don't care a lot about the looks - as long as it runs strong and doesn't attract attention from vandals/thieves when it is parked.

Comment

Toby, mine are 15" Daisy. It would be cool if there was a way to stretch them to 8"

Bob, my sons and I are polar opposits. They are in to performance but, if push comes to shove, they are form over function. To me, if it goes down the track in 12 seconds, I only slightly care if it is red with one black door and a green hood. I care. Really I do but, if it cut another tenth, let the black door and green hood stay. It would really be a sleeper on the street.
                          sigpic

Comment

Toby, mine are 15" Daisy.
                            You sure? Only a few NAs came with 15s, but none were daisies.

95M - mesh BBS
                            96M/97STO - 5 spoke Enkie
                            97M - chrome 6 spoke

Tire selection is pretty poor in 14" sizes which is why I was so happy to have 15s when I went from my 92 to my 97. If Hankook ever stops making the 225/45/15 RS3, there won't be any good street tires left for that size wheel.

Comment

That's the second time you have made snide remarks about my suspension, Pat. Well, it needed new suspension as it was tired. I had 170WHP at the time and figured I didn't need much so I put those new Tein coilovers on. They are the inexpensive (read CHEAP) version but were adequate...
                              You put a set of Teins on the '90? I thought you liked the stock springs + performance shocks you got put on? Turned out the stock springs were too soft?

Comment

Working...
                              X