When to Buy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When to Buy

Two questions. How do you know when it is time to buy tire ?

My tires seem to have plenty of tread and if the the car was staying in Ohio all season I would trust it well enought. But I will be taking a trip to AZ and then Texas before heading home in May and so I am not sure of what to do. Any help would be apperciated.

How wide of a tire can I look at with 17 x 7 rime or how wide should I look at ? I am running 205 x 45 x 17 ?
    2009 Mable white Mica. Grand Touring edition racing beat dual exhaust.

215's would be fine on a 7" wheel. 225 is pushing it a wee bit but still doable.
    '00 Coldside FFSC 130mm pulley @ 18.5psi. on E85. OBX header, Goodwin Midpipe, Tein Flex, Koyo Rad, Etc.

Comment

What are the plus and Minus of going to a wider tire ?

Any idea on how low the tread should get before you replace tires ?

Comment

Tire Rack has some good information on their web site.
        World Formula Wildkart. Experience: None; Speed: To Fast; My Age: To Old to know Better; Mental Status: Unstable

Comment

You could also send an email to Tire Rack. I did this once and they got back to me in 24 hrs. Also Tire Rack monitors the tire section on M.net
          World Formula Wildkart. Experience: None; Speed: To Fast; My Age: To Old to know Better; Mental Status: Unstable

Comment

Can't think of too many minuses unless you get a tire with really soft sidewalls. Then it could feel mushy. A good quality tire in a 215 will give you more grip, both from a start and in corners.
            '00 Coldside FFSC 130mm pulley @ 18.5psi. on E85. OBX header, Goodwin Midpipe, Tein Flex, Koyo Rad, Etc.

Comment

what the biggest size tires fit under an NB that is lowered one inch?
              The guy "Guss" at the tire rack said that a 225x45x17 would not fit! I don't believe him.
              What is everyone running? I would like to try the new Kumho XS or the new Hankook R3.
              I will be replacing my stock wheels & tires soon. I figured to go to 17 x 7.5 or 8" wheels.
              I like the Rota Torque wheels, but what off set and tire size?
              '02 SE, FFS, 2 1/2" Mid, Borla, timing card, DIY ram air, Coolant bypass, 198.3 WHP= bald rear tires quick!

Comment

Can't help with the 17's, but I'm running 245/35/16 on my 16x8s. I'm lowered to about 12 3/4 front and 13 rear. I still have room too. Here is a pic http://www.flickr.com/photos/in2food...22400/sizes/l/

Comment

Nice looking tires and wheels Pat ;-). Here is a site that compares wheel / tires

http://www.rims-n-tires.com/rt_specs.jsp

Pat and I are using 16X7 wheels, with a 35mm offset, with 245/35/16 tires.

Enter in your wheels and tires.

As is, the tires look narrower, but 1.25" taller.
                  Silver 2000, 5 speed with 3.9:1 torsen, 245/35X16, 110mm pulley, Robello head - cooled by E-Cool

Comment

Don't know about you Steve, but I got the 16x8.

Comment

My mistake, 16X8 with a 38mm offset. Thanks.

Pretty wide compared to 225, huge compared to 185.
                      Silver 2000, 5 speed with 3.9:1 torsen, 245/35X16, 110mm pulley, Robello head - cooled by E-Cool

Comment

Pat, that's great lookin' ride! Thanks for the heads up on the tires & wheels guys!
                        '02 SE, FFS, 2 1/2" Mid, Borla, timing card, DIY ram air, Coolant bypass, 198.3 WHP= bald rear tires quick!

Comment

Originally posted by socal pat View Post
                          Can't think of too many minuses unless you get a tire with really soft sidewalls. Then it could feel mushy. A good quality tire in a 215 will give you more grip, both from a start and in corners.

We;; got Toyo Proxes 4 on both cars 215 / 40 / 17 amd you were right love them on the corners, starts , hell everywhere.

Comment

Working...
                          X