My British Car Collector son

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My British Car Collector son

recently added a modern Mini to his fleet (61 Bugeye, 64 Spitfire, 67 GT6, TR4) of British cars. It had somewhat balding tires so he purchased some new tires. They were by no means cheap tires either. He immediately complained of a low speed shake. Inspection revealed the attached picture of the left front tire/rim. Yes, EACH of those weights are 1 oz.

I would think that any INTELLIGENT tire shop would know that if a tire took that much weight in one spot, there MIGHT be something wrong with the tire. They have since replaced the tire and all is well with the world.
    Attached Files
    sigpic

1990 with FFS Coldside. At least 260 WHP NON-INTERCOOLED

Shame he did not buy another British car, oh hang on we don't have any

Is that the Cooper S with the supercharger?

Comment

Yes. The 'S'. It's quick but the FFS Miata is quicker and more fun.

BTW, I still think the British made one of the best all time 4 cylinder engines ever made. The 1.6L Cortina engine. I had the original '71 Pinto and drove it 128,000 miles on only oil/filter changes until my wife broadsided a full sized Pontiac on Christmas Eve 1982. I'm sure it would have gone 200,000. I also spent 8 grueling, but FUN, hours behind the wheel of a Formula Ford at Bondurant with that engine. As 'indestructable' goes, I think they get the prize.
      Last edited by Tom @ Fast Forward; 01-16-2009, 09:36 AM.
      sigpic

Comment

So Hans got an older supercharged Mini and not the newer Turbo Mini?
        Originally posted by Joe Perez
        I am so amazingly pissed off right now I'm temped to drive my car into the Pacific Ocean.

About the only thing I haven't done is install a PCPro...

Comment

Yes. It's a old 2005 or 2006. SO, they cheapened it and went turbo? Too bad.
          sigpic

Comment

I have not heard of a factory turbo Mini in Europe, if it is factory may be it is for the States only but doubt that. Are you sure it is not from one of the many tunning firms?

Tom have to agree with you on the Pinto engine (as it was called over here), you could rebuild it with your eyes closed if you wanted to and the potential for tunning was out of this world.

Comment

The "S" version was supercharged over here until 2006. 2007+ the "S" version is turbo. Don't know about the rest of the world?
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Tom @ Fast Forward View Post
                Yes. The 'S'. It's quick but the FFS Miata is quicker and more fun.

BTW, I still think the British made one of the best all time 4 cylinder engines ever made. The 1.6L Cortina engine. I had the original '71 Pinto and drove it 128,000 miles on only oil/filter changes until my wife broadsided a full sized Pontiac on Christmas Eve 1982. I'm sure it would have gone 200,000. I also spent 8 grueling, but FUN, hours behind the wheel of a Formula Ford at Bondurant with that engine. As 'indestructable' goes, I think they get the prize.
                That lasted a lot longer than my 74 Gremlin.
                Silver 2000, 5 speed with 3.9:1 torsen, 245/35X16, 110mm pulley, Robello head - cooled by E-Cool

Comment

Working...
                X