wider IS better!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wider IS better!!

Just mounted up my new RPf1's in 16x8 with Toyo T1r in 245/35/16. My old Azenis were heat cycled to death and getting hard to launch. I was concerned about the sidewall height, but they aren't that bad. Ride is no more harsh than my Azenis. The dang Falken hummmmm is now gone thank god. A slight bit of the 65mph shimmy is still there, but much improved. Goodwin has them mounted on the proper machine so I think it's time I look hard at my suspension to cure the rest.

I only had time for a short jaunt to start the scrubbing process so can't tell yet where the limits are, but I can tell you that it launches hard enough to humiliate a 6 cyl Eclipse with some breathing mods. No fitment issues on an NB with old school FM springs. 12 1/4" front and 12 3/4 rear. I'll post some pics as soon as I figure out how to do it.
    '00 Coldside FFSC 130mm pulley @ 18.5psi. on E85. OBX header, Goodwin Midpipe, Tein Flex, Koyo Rad, Etc.

Good for you.
    I for one, would love to see some pics. Angle from front and angle from rear?

Comment

Let's see if this photo works. I used to think that 205 Azenis were pretty fat.
      Attached Files
      '00 Coldside FFSC 130mm pulley @ 18.5psi. on E85. OBX header, Goodwin Midpipe, Tein Flex, Koyo Rad, Etc.

Comment

OK, 2 more pics. If there are any requests for a certain angle I'll be happy to oblige.
        Attached Files

Comment

wow, the 245's fit on the front without any lock to lock rubbing ?????
          how about on a bump - will it scrape fender liner?

Comment

I thought my 225/50-15s were wide. I know what my next set will be. You just need more rim offset, I guess?
            sigpic

1990 with FFS Coldside. At least 260 WHP NON-INTERCOOLED

Comment

Pat,

Now that you have had them a while, how do they corner?

Would you like to borrow my G-Timer and measure the cornering and stopping G forces?

I get about 0.8G with my 195/60/14 Pilot Exalto All Season.

Steve
              Silver 2000, 5 speed with 3.9:1 torsen, 245/35X16, 110mm pulley, Robello head - cooled by E-Cool

Comment

Originally posted by mywong23 View Post
                wow, the 245's fit on the front without any lock to lock rubbing ?????
                how about on a bump - will it scrape fender liner?
                So far no rubbing in normal everyday driving. I haven't had the chance to beat on the setup yet though.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom @ Fast Forward View Post
                  I thought my 225/50-15s were wide. I know what my next set will be. You just need more rim offset, I guess?
                  The offset is pretty much the same as Emillio's wheels. Around ET36.

Comment

I just mounted a set of used RA1s in 225x 15". With the old FM springs, the front tires look really close to the fender.

I can't wait to take a drive.
                    Originally posted by Joe Perez
                    I am so amazingly pissed off right now I'm temped to drive my car into the Pacific Ocean.

About the only thing I haven't done is install a PCPro...

Comment

Yah, 12" to 12 1/4" is pretty low to be squeezing in serious rubber. I couldn't afford the RA1's along with the new wheels, so that will be my next set of tires.

Comment

Tom had these same wheel/tire/suspension height combo and he didn't have any problems, so...

I can't afford RA1s either. I bought em used - 225x50x15s.

Now I'm just waiting for a set of JICs to fall off someone's Miata.
                        Originally posted by socal pat View Post
                        Yah, 12" to 12 1/4" is pretty low to be squeezing in serious rubber. I couldn't afford the RA1's along with the new wheels, so that will be my next set of tires.
                        I am so amazingly pissed off right now I'm temped to drive my car into the Pacific Ocean.

Comment

Actually, mine is set to factory height and I think that was 12.5" all the way around. It is a 10AE and came lower than the base model.

The wheels "fell off" and the tires "fell off" with them but the JIC's are well anchored.
                          sigpic

1990 with FFS Coldside. At least 260 WHP NON-INTERCOOLED

Comment

Well my 15" Enkei / 225/45/15 RS2's have been on back order for going on a month, and still no ETA on the tires.

I canceled that order, ordered what Pat has. Expect those in the next day or two.

Pat - have you had a chance to beat on it yet???

Steve
                            Silver 2000, 5 speed with 3.9:1 torsen, 245/35X16, 110mm pulley, Robello head - cooled by E-Cool

Comment

It seems the 15x7 Koseis and 225x50x15s are juuust a little too much for the old FM springs. Drivers side front is rubbing on the fender well when I hit just a minor dip.

The cause is probably that the KYB AGX on that corner is probably blown.

Back to my 14" and Azenis for now.

Comment

Working...
                              X