New Install, some teething issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Install, some teething issues

2nd hand kit, I've got everything installed but I'm fighting through a handful of small issues, looking to get some input from experienced individuals. Tom has already helped me through a few.

Setup:
    2002, vvt 1.8L stock engine.
    MP62 FFS kit w/ tuning cards, e85, 320cc, 250lph, aeromotive FPR @55psi hooked up to boost line, VTA catch cans (no pcv or tie to VDB)

Condition:
    Car starts, rough idle, very lean.
    No change to idle once warm, makes me question the IACV.
    Sounds like it might be running on 3 cylinders, I plan to check injectors/plugs to confirm those are ok.

Diagnosis:
    I did a smoke leak test and found a significant amount flowing from the Bypass valve actuator, and a tiny bit from the TPS.
    CEL is also throwing codes P0107 (MAP sensor) and P 0122 (TPS)

MAP:
    Unsure the cause for this code, going to order a replacement but I have to suspect something with vac routing could be at play. I have Boost sensor and purge control valve hooked to VDB as instructed.

Bypass:
    1. Bypass actuator appeared to be working, actuating open and closed, but since it seemed to be a source of intake leak, I temporarily disconnected the vacuum line and plugged the VDB.
    2. I now get a rattle from the bypass valve, It goes away when I physically pull it open. I am wondering if it sounds like it needs adjustment to close completely?
    3. I see people saying they've run without it hooked up, indefinitely. Since they cost $200 I'm hesitant to buy a replacement if its unneeded..?
    TPS:
    I have a spare TPS I will swap out today but I dont think this will impact the condition.

Any other thoughts or ideas or questions on this setup? Hoping to get through these issues soon so I can begin tuning.

Bypass actuator should not leak. The diaphragm may be torn. It is needed to run correctly.
    96 Montego - FFS ColdSide, 97 Black & Tan, 90 White
    www.miatacare.com

Comment

Originally posted by bogey View Post
      Bypass actuator should not leak. The diaphragm may be torn. It is needed to run correctly.
      I'll get a new one ordered then. But if I wire this one open as-is it does not resolve my rough and lean idle. Any thoughts on that?

Comment

Need to determine which cylinder is misfiring. Pull the plugs and examine to see if one is different.

Could be plug leads, injector/harness, injector seals, or something else. Vacuum leak still a high probability, or incorrect routing of vacuum lines.
        www.miatacare.com

Comment

Checked Plugs, getting spark. Checked injectors, getting consisted clicks. Smoke leak tested again. Replaced VSV. Replaced TPS with a spare (after bench testing) and now my throttle wont shut fully BUT the car will start and idle now with no additional throttle input. Still misfiring, still reading the same codes. Kinda stumped here. Next I am thinking of unplugging the tuning cards and seeing if there's any change but I'm just throwing shit at the wall now. Any ideas?

Comment

Tuning cards not likely the issue unless the vacuum line is disconnected.

Did you make any changes to timing belt?

www.miatacare.com

Comment

Did you make any changes to timing belt?
              Nope. What’s also strange is that if I pull a plug wire from cylinders 1 or 3 there’s no apparent change. Nb2 has the 2cop+2 wires so I can’t really pull try cylinders with cop screwed down for Gnd. Tempted to buy new coil packs.

Comment

That makes no sense. Plugs for in pairs. 1-4 and 2-3.
                www.miatacare.com

Comment

That makes no sense. Plugs for in pairs. 1-4 and 2-3.
                  Right, so I can pull the plugs with wires (1 & 3 individually) but I can not pull the ones with coils bolted down without deactivating both 1&4 or 2&3 at the same time.

Comment

I have no other reason to believe the coils have gone bad all of a sudden while the car was being worked on, I think it’s something else causing these issues.

I’m hoping to get more feedback on the TPS situation. why doesn’t the TB want to fully close now with a new TPS is very odd.

Also can’t ignore these TPS and Baro codes that are lingering. I feel like they’ll lead me to the culprit but I’m unsure how to proceed with them.

Comment

Have you double checked all ground wires are connected? I think there is one that was on the rear of the old manifold. Is it attached somewhere else now?
                      www.miatacare.com

Comment

I don’t recall the specific ground you’re talking about but I do believe everything is connected as it should be.

Comment

Have you double checked all ground wires are connected? I think there is one that was on the rear of the old manifold. Is it attached somewhere else now?
                          Found this little guy way down in the back. Is this what you were thinking of? I’ll have to do some looking to figure out what this is for and if it’s indeed a ground.

Comment

Not sure, but that looks like the oil pressure sender connection.

There is a ground wire connection that was near the EGR valve (on NA's). I assume there was on your NB.
                            www.miatacare.com

Comment

Not sure, but that looks like the oil pressure sender connection.

There is a ground wire connection that was near the EGR valve (on NA's). I assume there was on your NB.
                              You’re definitely right about it being the oil pressure sender wire.

I’ll keep looking for a loose ground.

Comment

Working...
                              X