Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, Ricardo made me a set of 520cc injectors. I will try and get them in before Saturday. The saga continues. Too bad 260WHP wasn't enough.
    sigpic

1990 with FFS Coldside. At least 260 WHP NON-INTERCOOLED

Comment

Well, 220 was enough to do my tranny in :( . All the more excuse to have my motor built while the tranny is out right? Guess it's time to look at a FM happy meal while I'm in there. Really looking forward to your results.
      '00 Coldside FFSC 130mm pulley @ 18.5psi. on E85. OBX header, Goodwin Midpipe, Tein Flex, Koyo Rad, Etc.

Comment

Stock flywheel. Stock flywheel. Stock flywheel .......
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by socal pat View Post
          Well, 220 was enough to do my tranny in :( . All the more excuse to have my motor built while the tranny is out right? Guess it's time to look at a FM happy meal while I'm in there. Really looking forward to your results.
          How many times do you power shift into fifth? Isn't that over 100MPH? (with my 3.909:1 rear end, my redline in 3rd is 92MPH, haven't even tried red line in 4th.)
          Silver 2000, 5 speed with 3.9:1 torsen, 245/35X16, 110mm pulley, Robello head - cooled by E-Cool

Comment

But you probably spend 80% of your time in 5th. As torque goes up there is more load on 5th than 1st.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Tom @ Fast Forward View Post
              Stock flywheel. Stock flywheel. Stock flywheel .......
              I have for sur been happy with my stocker, but FM has a 13lb.er that I was considering. Nice compromise.
              '00 Coldside FFSC 130mm pulley @ 18.5psi. on E85. OBX header, Goodwin Midpipe, Tein Flex, Koyo Rad, Etc.

Comment

Just remember, you are increasing torque and considering a very tall diff. This is probably not the time to take weight out of the flywheel.
                sigpic

Comment

I agree with Tom that you should keep the stock flywheel. BTDT. Also, get the 6-speed. 5-speed is on borrowed time when at 220rwhp and up. I blew my original 5-speed in the first year when my Hotside was at 220rwhp. Did some drag racing with that transmission, but I wouldn't say I abused it (no speedshifting, just hard launches). Interestingly enough, the transmission let go when accelerating onto the interstate in 3rd gear. Reached the top of 3rd and boom! No more 3rd gear. Could still use 4th though to get home. The next two 5-speed transmissions I took it a little bit easier with, no dragracing, but they got progressively notchier over time. Got a 6-speed with my setup now for the last 2 years. Gearing has its pros and cons. It is pretty fun with the 6-speed and also it does keep the rpms tighter through the speed you use it a lot (20-80mph acceleration). However, 1st is really short. I can ALMOST use 2nd gear as 1st. Almost, just need another 50hp haha.

I am running the 3.91 Torsen. The 3.63 would be better.

Another option that would be even stronger than the 6-speed and also get the gearing taller where you want it at higher power levels would be to get the Quaife gear set from FM for the 5-speed. Quite expensive though. It has the advantage also that the gears in the transmission are taller so you can retain your 4.1 or 4.3 diff and still have very usable gears.

Any way you look at it, when you have boost you should be able to use it. When you get to these higher power levels the stock 5-speed becomes a weak link preventing you from really using the power. Depending on how hard you drive of course. Perhaps a little luck too.

Comment

My baby lives. No more on off switch. No more pig rich or dead lean. Will need a little tuning but I think there's hope. The 520s will be a good choice I think.
                    sigpic

Comment

Cool Beans! I'll be following this with great interest.

Comment

I learn something new every day with this setup. It was running well/good but not great. Sometimes I would go light throttle (you know, 10 PSI or so. Just light throttle) and it would go to 12 PSI and sometimes 15 PSI. I was trying to figure it out when it dawned on me that the 12 PSI came after cruising awhile (LTFT adjusted to that set of circumstances) and 15 or so after idling for a few seconds (LTFT readjusted to those settings). This morning I hooked up the computer to the MAF and disconnected the O2 sensor and it idled right around 14.7 +/-. I had done this before with the O2 disconnected and this was my method on injector or pressure changes. With the O2 disconnected, LTFT and STFT can't have an effect, right? Wrong. I reset the ECU and started again and idle was around 13. What this meant is that at idle, LTFT would adjust lean to get back to 14.7. When I eased on the throttle, it would grab the value from the lookup table, modify by the LTFT and my fuel would go lean. At cruise, it was 14.7 with the O2 disconnected so LTFT would readjust and when pushing on the pedal, the ECU would grab the value and adjust by LTFT (which was zero) and I would get good numbers.

In any case, it now runs the best it has since I put in those 650s. Anybody need a set of plug in 650cc injectors for their Miata?

My 3.636 Diff gears are enroute so I will hold off further setting /testing until they are in as I know I will have to do it all over again. However, for the moment, I have no idea what the HP is but not many cars pass me.
                        sigpic

Comment

Car was really snappy and the great thing is I was seeing only a green flash from my knock device.

Comment

Working...
                          X