This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In case you wondered

what happened to the engine, transmission and FFS kit that came out on my 1990, it is all now in this track car. More to follow as the race season gets under way. Yes, they do race out here in 100F+.
    Attached Files
    sigpic

1990 with FFS Coldside. At least 260 WHP NON-INTERCOOLED

That nice to see! All these perty red Miatas!

Comment

Originally posted by Tom @ Fast Forward View Post
      what happened to the engine, transmission and FFS kit that came out on my 1990, it is all now in this track car. More to follow as the race season gets under way. Yes, they do race out here in 100F+.
      Any updates on how this car held up on track with the FFS?
      99 "Sport" Miata Silver
      09 C6 423 RWHP 424 RWT

Comment

He had the time of his life, according to him. He cut his lap time at Inde significantly. I don't know after that.

FWIW, we pulled his engine and my engine, put my engine in his car and put my built engine in my car and had both running in a week.
        sigpic

Comment

FWIW, we pulled his engine and my engine, put my engine in his car and put my built engine in my car and had both running in a week.
          That's all?

Comment

Curt thought about taking a year at it but I talked out of it. That was all one guy, Curt.
            sigpic

Comment

If you are highly motivated, you can pull a complete Miata drivetrain, from the crank pulley to the rear diff, out of the car in about 2 hours by yourself.

I had to do it once in an industrial parking lot where I had a donor car stored. The lot owner wanted the space back so I had to salvage the drivetrain and leave the tub to be hauled away by the wrecker, who was coming in... 2 hours.

The big secret is you don't have to remove the gearbox from the engine. It does help to remove the hood so you have extra clearance for the picker, and one of those adjustable-tilt things is essential.

I will admit to not being as fastidious about organizing removed fasteners and other related parts as I would have been otherwise, but I pulled up with the truck, assembled the cherry picker, got the car up on stands, drained fluids, and went at it. The wrecker showed up on time, hauled the then-empty tub onto his rollback, and I took the drivetrain bits over to my engine builder's shop.

You can field strip a Miata with not a lot more than a handful of tools, it's one of the car's great virtues.

twj

Comment

The last empty tub I had sold for $500. It had everything stripped including interior, roof, fenders, doors, hood and trunklid.
                96 Montego - FFS ColdSide, 97 Black & Tan, 90 White
                www.miatacare.com

Comment

This talk of stripped Miata bodies and thinking about all the work involved in transforming it back into a performance car makes me wish that Mazda would start up the assembly line production for NA and NBs again. Imagine, if they were produced with all the little fixes and tweaks we have learned over the last 10-20 years, but as standard Mazda production parts. For example, the chassis mildly reworked so that it has all the stiffness needed without extra bracing, properly adjustable coilovers that make the car handle sublimely, twinhoop SCCA approved rollbar, nice big brakes, all real gauges, strengthed engine/transmission internals, bigger radiator, higher flowing but stealth quiet exhaust and last but not least a Mazda factory implemented Coldside PD supercharger using E-Cool, flexfuel capable and about 200rwhp on gasoline and 230rwhp on E85. All brand new in any color you wish for under $30K.

And the beauty of it would be it would be a nice plain but classic and beautiful NA or NB.

I can dream can't I?

Comment

+1 for me.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by FormerDatsun510Man View Post
                      This talk of stripped Miata bodies and thinking about all the work involved in transforming it back into a performance car makes me wish that Mazda would start up the assembly line production for NA and NBs again. Imagine, if they were produced with all the little fixes and tweaks we have learned over the last 10-20 years, but as standard Mazda production parts. For example, the chassis mildly reworked so that it has all the stiffness needed without extra bracing, properly adjustable coilovers that make the car handle sublimely, twinhoop SCCA approved rollbar, nice big brakes, all real gauges, strengthed engine/transmission internals, bigger radiator, higher flowing but stealth quiet exhaust and last but not least a Mazda factory implemented Coldside PD supercharger using E-Cool, flexfuel capable and about 200rwhp on gasoline and 230rwhp on E85. All brand new in any color you wish for under $30K.

And the beauty of it would be it would be a nice plain but classic and beautiful NA or NB.

I can dream can't I?
                      Agreed! But, the Feds would never allow it. :(

I guess the only thing we can do is dream!

Mike
                      2013 Ford Mustang GT Coupe, 6M, 3.73, Brembo Pack.

Comment

Working...
                      X