Dreaming in 120mm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dreaming in 120mm

Finally managed to get a little overtime and Im thinkng of spending it on some more boost Im thinking if Im gonna do this it should be before it starts to cool off here in the Valley of the Sun ( stroke ). Best to test / tune in the most hostile conditions. Tom, Im running a 105 now correct? What do you think it would take to safely run a 115 or 120 sproket. I beleve the last dyno was 179 whp sure would like to top 200 ( phew: Almost said "bust" 200 )
    1991 copper stripes with LOUVERS BABY! M45 REMOVED!! Replaced with FFS first MP-62 1.6L kit !!! 170 HP and 143 lbs Tq 1.8 torsen HD roll bar Koni's with GC coilovers 1.6 TEST MONKEY #1 WOO HOO

What boost are you seeing right now? What is the size of the nose pulley on the supercharger? I think timing control would be mandatory.

Bill

Comment

I would dream in 130mm if I were you.

I did, and holy cow.........

Comment

Got clutch? I don't know how much more power the stock clutch on a 1.8 can take beyond 105, much less the clutch on a 1.6 where the surface is smaller. I know the clutch is one of the only things keeping me from upping my pulley size right now. The other being money.

Since you're in AZ, have you already upgraded your radiator?
        97M - FFS Coldside 105/65, FCM 600/375, FM frame rails, big RB front sway, HDHCHTDDSS, Thermal, Wilwood BBK, RE-11As...

Comment

Its a 1.6L... Not sure of the nose pulley. Whatever stock is on the 1.8 kits. I have the JR " Boost Timing Controler" as Tom's timing card wont seem to work on the 1.6 ECU. He tried (hard) but it just wouldnt work. everything on the car that counts is 1.8 spec except for the engine and ECU... 1.8 flywheel and ACT stage I clutch. 1.8 brake mod, 1.8 torsen rear end. ect.
          1991 copper stripes with LOUVERS BABY! M45 REMOVED!! Replaced with FFS first MP-62 1.6L kit !!! 170 HP and 143 lbs Tq 1.8 torsen HD roll bar Koni's with GC coilovers 1.6 TEST MONKEY #1 WOO HOO

Comment

timming controller wtf man just throw a good 14 or so psi on there and call it a day the mp62 realy isnt designed to go alot past that. looking at the flow charts etc. LOL at bill dude elepha was your 1.6 test monkey and is buds with Tom i should think anyone even remotely familiar with FFS would either know or know of him and chuck.
            I guess i am a shill with a turbo

Comment

You drunk dialing on the forums again?
              97M - FFS Coldside 105/65, FCM 600/375, FM frame rails, big RB front sway, HDHCHTDDSS, Thermal, Wilwood BBK, RE-11As...

Comment

Originally posted by beatle View Post
                You drunk dialing on the forums again?
                who me not this time lol

Comment

Elphaba,

Having not had my hands on your setup yet, I can't say for sure, but from my experience on 1.8 Hotsides I would not go up in pulley from what you are currently running without going to an Air/Air IC. You are already running timing control and 10psi, which is about as high as I would go without an intercooler. The problem I have found with an Air/Air IC on a supercharged Miata are that the idle and driveability suffer and also around here in Arizona, you can't the use your A/C because of the impact on the cooling system. It does really raise the rwhp that can be attained though. The other option would be to add WI, however that isn't for everyone. Personally, I haven't found WI to be very practical for a daily driver. I think it is great for a track car though, provided you have the instrumentation to accompany it. It costs a lot more than an FMIC to do it right.

The other option is to see what we reliably can do with the Coldside 1.6

Bill

Comment

Dan you can fit a FMIC but as bill said in your heat and conditions i would also fit a thicker full metal radiator, and do some work on the ducting into the cars front end. Plenty of people do it, the driveability issues are mostly do to air leaks and lagging afm's and this can most definatley be fixed with a aftermarket engine management system. If you are serius about doing this i suggest you do alittle research and shot pms to people like bill or me etc hell my buddy adbradley is in your area and fully versed in forced induction on miatas. The more knowledge you amass and, understand the better your FI experience will be once you go into the realms of high horsepower.

Comment

Doesn't Elphaba already have a coldside?

Comment

He's got a Hotside. We are still working on the 1.6 Coldside.

Bill

Comment

Hi Bill

With I've got a FFS 1.6 hotside kit with a 105mm pulley, WA intercooler and MSPNP (There is an thread with dyno and pics on this forum).

Can you give me a rough idea about what sorta boost numbers would I be seeing with say a 110 and 115 pulley? Have you tried these size pulleys with the coldside development?

Comment

That should put your 1.6 Hotside around 10psi. We are using the same pulley 105/65 on the 1.6 Coldside. It should be around 12psi on that setup.

Comment

Working...
                            X