1.6 hotside progress: part tres

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1.6 hotside progress: part tres

Well: The motors in and running fine. Still need to get the idle air control thingey reworked and I've got a few minor squaks, but she drove fine out to Lake Havasu City last night. 220 miles on the "new" motor which is the "old" motor reborn. I wish I could rename this car "ZOMBIE" shes been dead and brought back to life so many times; but I'd loose my post count. AC not working probably a connection missed. cruise control out. again most likely a connection. Yesterday Mike replaced the leaky steering rack, fixed a very leaky tail shaft seal, and tidied up all the compter/PC-Pro wireing. So when I get back shell have well over 600 miles under her belt. I'll do an oil/filter job then off to the dyno AGAIN!
    1991 copper stripes with LOUVERS BABY! M45 REMOVED!! Replaced with FFS first MP-62 1.6L kit !!! 170 HP and 143 lbs Tq 1.8 torsen HD roll bar Koni's with GC coilovers 1.6 TEST MONKEY #1 WOO HOO

I'd let you use the name "Lazarus", but my daughter named my '77 Chevy 3/4 ton pickup that after we brought it back from the dead for the third time -- something about a rod going through the side of the block on her way to a high-school football game a few years back...

We wait with baited breathe for news & results...
    1990 - red - buncha fun stuff...

Comment

It is good to hear she is back alive and breathing again! Keep your eye on her though, I'm not sure if she can be trusted?

Bill

Comment

300 miles on it so far with minimal problems! AC and cruise control to be fixed Friday morning then she goes on the dyno if she has a clean bill of healthTest monkey out!
        1991 copper stripes with LOUVERS BABY! M45 REMOVED!! Replaced with FFS first MP-62 1.6L kit !!! 170 HP and 143 lbs Tq 1.8 torsen HD roll bar Koni's with GC coilovers 1.6 TEST MONKEY #1 WOO HOO

Comment

700 miles now and a fresh oil change so Im ready but unfortunatly the pulleys arnt back in Toms hands yet... So no dyno tomarrow. POOP.

Comment

Any PICS YET ??

Would like to see some pics if you got any yet

Thanks
            Rich

Comment

No pic's yet. Tom, any word on the pulleys??? I'd be available on the 13th.

Comment

Got her back out of the shop yesterday and plan to take her up to Havasu tonight to get some more miles on the motor. Been waiting on the new pulleys to get back from the anodizer. Bout another week and we can strap her to the dyno! PS: Tom! Did the pulleys show up yesterday?
                Last edited by Elphaba; 05-22-2008, 09:34 AM. Reason: forgot to add the last

Comment

Well. I drove her back to Havasu again. Had a little fuel leak from Tom's new billet dual feed fuel rail, but that got fixed ( i think) Tom wanted a few more miles on the motor prior to strapping to the dyno again. So now the cars ready but Tom is in Houston for a week or so. Looks like the very next possability of dyno time would be Saturday the 31st but thats a long shot. Probably the 1st week of June. I was hopeing to try running the 100mm pulley with the stock AFM just to see if it would work; but the guys at the anodizing shop dropped and damaged it...So well be starting with the 105mm. Thats your weekly update. Test Monkey out!

Comment

Back together and back on the dyno in 100F heat and
                    sigpic

1990 with FFS Coldside. At least 260 WHP NON-INTERCOOLED

Comment

Originally posted by Tom @ Fast Forward View Post
                      Back together and back on the dyno in 100F heat and

Okay... I'll bite on this one -

...just how was it?
                      1990 - red - buncha fun stuff...

Comment

Well, for starts, it back to an absolutely stock, Mazda piston, engine. It redlined with 10PSI on 91 octane 6 times in a row in the 100F (in the shade) heat flawlessly. We were running a bit rich but I'm pretty sure that was due to the stock ECU trying to compemnsate for VERY HOT water. Dan wants to wait to tune until he can replace the stock radiator with a good Koyo. It would have easily made 165WHP but we will wait until he gets back from Havasu and gets the radiator.

The smilies above were because, with the Chinese import pistons, it was done on the third pull and that was in cool weather with cool water temps. By the 4th pull yesterday, the water was REAL hot and you could see the effects of the ECU adding fuel and pulling timing. However, 7000 RPM in that heat on 91 with no ping was a "sound" my ears have waited a year to hear. My optimism is high for this product now and lots more power. Last I saw of the engine from hell, it was sitting out back of the shop waiting for the anchorless boat to swim by and pick it up.

ps. Mazda makes great pistons.
                        sigpic

Comment

Koyo 37mm is on the way Should be at my house by the time I get back on Monday. Tom; Any reason ADC couldnt put it in, along with a "correct" spacer for the pulley? PS: Im Pay'n for Johns Wrench time yesterday and the Radiator.

Comment

I'm sure ADC could put it in. I can drop off the aluminum tape there for them to seal the radiator. Not sure how fast I can get some 1/4" pulley spacers made? What I'd really like to do is get the pulley 1/4" longer. We can replace that later.

If I get up that way, I'll drop off the tape.
                            sigpic

Comment

The other posts are now here

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X