This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1.6l Coldside

What would you guys think of a 1.6L Coldside? I think I can do it for about the same price as the other Coldside kits if there is enough interest.

Yes? No? Maybe?
    sigpic

1990 with FFS Coldside. At least 260 WHP NON-INTERCOOLED

You might provoke an interest in reverse-swapping the 1.6 engine back into later cars on the basis of superior fuel economy off boost...?

Plus throttle response issues, lighter clutch/flwheels, etc etc etc.

PLUS access to cheaper donors in the first place.

What kit volume do you need to justify the initial design & manifold bits?

twj

Comment

If I had 10 people interested (no money needed up front, just solid honest interest) I would have it on the street in less than 6 weeks. I have spent the last two weeks covering all the bases and I can do it.

For the record, I am proceeding with it anyhow but it might take a couple months unless I see real interest.

My main incentive is that I can have CARB approval for it for the asking.
      sigpic

Comment

I think this would be too cool . One suggestion though, since the Coldside flows so efficiently, especially at high rpm, I think for the smaller 1.6L engine the MP45 might be a better match. Note I said MP45 and not the older M45. The MP45 revs nice and high like the MP62 and you would have the benefit of even more room for the air intake and ducting, less weight, etc. Theoretically at least , I think the MP45 would make as much power on the 1.6 as the MP62 and it would give better lowend response.

Of course, with various mounting plates, I suppose either MP45 or MP62 could be selected perhaps ?

Bill

Comment

CARB is not an issue for me. I like the simplicity, light weight and throttle response of a Coldside but I also like the upgrade path of a Hotside.

I'd like to see what kind of numbers each kit make before making a decision.

So it's a maybe from me.
          1992 Sunburst Yellow, Tein Flex, RB Sway bar, 1.8 Brakes, Spec 2 Clutch, 1.8 Torsen, JR Header & Cat, RB Catback, HDHCHTDD
          2002 SE Blazing Yellow, Bilstein PSS

Comment

Numbers would be very close to the same. for the same pulley and no intercooling.
            sigpic

Comment

Tom,

I'd be interested in a coldside, but I not in the immediate market for a kit.

Mark

Comment

Bill, too much is designed for the MP62 Coldside already. Besides, we know the MP62 makes more power easier even on the 1.6L and the upgrade for those fearless people that want more power is great. I have no interest in re-designing for the M45 or MP45 blowers at this stage. I would rather run the MP62 a little slower than run the MP45 faster. I believe the weight savings would be minimal. Cominality of inventory parts is too precious.
                sigpic

Comment

Couldnt have come up with this idea a year ago huh
                  1991 copper stripes with LOUVERS BABY! M45 REMOVED!! Replaced with FFS first MP-62 1.6L kit !!! 170 HP and 143 lbs Tq 1.8 torsen HD roll bar Koni's with GC coilovers 1.6 TEST MONKEY #1 WOO HOO

Comment

A year ago I was told CARB was a given for the HS. :(
                    sigpic

Comment

Tom will probably need a tester for the coldside, and is there a better way than to test the same car with the different systems within a day or so of each other?

Comment

Originally posted by Tom @ Fast Forward View Post
                        My main incentive is that I can have CARB approval for it for the asking.
                        Numbers would be very close to the same. for the same pulley and no intercooling.
                        Cominality of inventory parts is too precious.
                        Then maybe you should focus on the 1.6L Coldside as your main/preferred setup. You would achieve all of the above comments.

I would be happy with a 170 WHP 1.6L Coldside.
                        1992 Sunburst Yellow, Tein Flex, RB Sway bar, 1.8 Brakes, Spec 2 Clutch, 1.8 Torsen, JR Header & Cat, RB Catback, HDHCHTDD
                        2002 SE Blazing Yellow, Bilstein PSS

Comment

It will be a few weeks before we are ready to test. I would be afraid to ask Dan to donate his car to test the Coldside. However, after it is done, I would be willing to swap his hotside for the Coldside if he wanted. I'm sure someone out there would love to have his hotside.
                          sigpic

Comment

Tom, you know the 1.6r's are loving you. First a Hotside MP62 for them, now a few weeks later you are going to cast a manifold so the Coldside will bolt right up to the 1.6 head. For the last 15 years or so, it used to be the JRSC was the only blower for the 1.6.

Bill

Comment

Wow... a lot of changes since I last posted -- been following & reading, though, and I absolutely need a SC for my 1.6

For a while, the FFS hotside was the only thing potentially available for me, and I assumed that it would easily receive CARB approval -- little did anyone know how those cross-over tubes could foul the air so much!

Anyway, a coldside would be really sweet, especially if CARB blesses it! I've kicked around the pros & cons of hot vs. cold, and really for the power levels desired, a coldside would fill the ticket really well.

Gosh, sometimes I wished I didn't live in Kalifornia...
                              1990 - red - buncha fun stuff...

Comment

Working...
                              X