Changing your timing belt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing your timing belt

Here are step by step instructions from Mike's Place via MX5Unleashed.com to replace the timing belt.

http://www.racecaddy.com/mx5/tech/timing-belt-mx5.html
    sigpic

1990 with FFS Coldside. At least 260 WHP NON-INTERCOOLED

This is a better write-up and has better pictures than the one I found this weekend.

Comment

Excellent write-up! I wonder if he could take some pictures the next time he does this for an NB with the Coldside kit? I know the instructions would be 90% the same, but for us newbies, any help is welcome!
      2001 Blue Automatic, FFS Supercharger

Comment

Wouldn't it be exactly the same?
        sigpic

Comment

My cam gears seemed to have extra marks not shown in those pictures. Also when lining up the "I" on the exhaust cam to the "I" on the cover, there is a mark on the gear that does not exactly line up with the "I" on the gear. Confused me a bit, but it is only about 1/8 of a tooth off.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom @ Fast Forward View Post
            Wouldn't it be exactly the same?
            Nope... there are a few key differences. First, in removing the valve cover you have to remove the VVT oil line, which is a major pain in the $*&, especially for first-timers; there are two little washers that love to slip down behind the engine and disappear. Also, there are differences in the marking for VVT engines on how to align the timing belt; one has an E and I, the other (intake/VVT) just has a dot/mark on it.
            2001 Blue Automatic, FFS Supercharger

Comment

2002 Cam Gears

Here's a shot of my 2002 for reference.
              Attached Files
              2002 LS Black & Tan Olins**16x7" Enkei RPF-1**215/40-16 Toyo T1R**Koyo 37mm Radiator**FFS Coldside 65/105**Innovate DL-32 & SSI-4**Speedhut Custom Dash, GCA3380-2 255lph Walboro Fuel Pump

Comment

What's with the gear on the left?
                sigpic

Comment

That is the VVT thingy.

Look at the exhaust cam gear. Would you line up the "tick" mark on the edge of the gear, or the "I"? I could not find anything showing a timing belt done on a newer car to clarify.

Comment

When I did mine I rolled the engine around to where everything lined up before I took the belt of the engine. The upper "yellow " marks are where the timing belt first had contact with the gears. I had counted the number of belt teeth also to make sure I had the correct setup.
                    2002 LS Black & Tan Olins**16x7" Enkei RPF-1**215/40-16 Toyo T1R**Koyo 37mm Radiator**FFS Coldside 65/105**Innovate DL-32 & SSI-4**Speedhut Custom Dash, GCA3380-2 255lph Walboro Fuel Pump

Comment

Working...
                    X